Sligo Mountaineering Club is actively involved in minimising our impact on the environment. The Club has two Environmental Officers who attend Workshops run by Mountaineering Ireland. They enlighten members of their need to be aware of the impact we make on the environment as a club and as individuals. As recreational users of the uplands, we adhere to the "7 Principles of Leave No Trace".
The 7 Principals of Leave No Trace:
1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Be Considerate of Others
3. Respect Farm Animals and Wildlife
4. Travel and Camp on Durable Ground
5. Leave What you Find
6. Dispose of Waste Properly
7. Minimise the Effect of Fire
Key Points to Note
- In the interest of safety to your fellow walkers, farm animals, wildlife and out of respect to the farming community, dogs are not permitted on Club Walks.
- To lessen our impact on the environment carpooling is encouraged
- Care to be taken when parking so as not to obstruct farm entrances and cause disruption to other road users and land owners.
- During lunch stops and breaks, bring home all food scraps, wrappers, fruit peelings, used tea bags etc.
- Open gates rather than climbing over them. If it is necessary to climb over a gate please do so at the hinged section of the gate as this is the strongest point.
- Care is to be taken when crossing fences and refrain from standing on the wire.
- If there is a trail/track please stick to the main trail and avoid creating shortcuts.