General Data Protection Regulation – it's relevance for Sligo Mountaineering Club and members.
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect 25th May 2018 – principles much the same as previous Data Protection Acts.
- GDPR emphasises transparency, security and accountability with regard to personal data held by organisations. It also strengthens the individual's right to privacy.
- Each club is required to appoint a Data Controller - with responsibility for managing and safeguarding members’ personal data, which has been collected on membership forms etc.
- The club Treasurer has been assigned the role of Club Data Controller.
- The personal data held for each member is as follows; name, address, phone no., email, gender, Mountaineering Ireland membership number, name of other Mountaineering/Walking Club in the case of dual membership, name and telephone number of emergency contact, car details.
- The data is required for the following reasons - (i) to process membership, (ii) members welfare and (iii) for the circulation of information on Club activities ie. Walks, Training, Meetings, Calendar, Social Events, Environmental/Access matters etc. – and other external related activities ie. Walking Festivals, Sponsored Mountain Walks, etc.
- Personal Data will be shared with the club Secretary and club Chairperson – and with Mountaineering Ireland. The data will not be shared with any other third party.
- The Club will hold personal data for the current year of membership, and for the following year*. *This is to facilitate the processing of late renewal of membership. Details will be deleted immediately where a member advises that s/he is not renewing their membership.
- Mountaineering Ireland will retain members’ details for 3 years (as a member has up to 3 years to pursue a personal injury claim). NB : details of training awards will be held indefinitely.
- On the Club membership form members consent to the use, access and retention of their personal data as above. (Heretofore such consent was inferred.) Members also sign a declaration with regard to photographic / video images.
- Members who have opted to join the WhatsApp ‘Mountaineering’ group are reminded that their name and/or mob no. is shown and that any information (including photographs) shared is shared by the entire group.
- Important that each member logs onto: www.mountaineering.ie/membersandclubs/GDPR&Members and www.mountaineering.ie/aboutus/dataprotection to familiarise themselves fully with Data Protection and Data Privacy matters.
- Any enquiries or concerns with regard to GDPR should be directed to Club Treasurer.